Monday, February 20, 2012

Bird- Nest Necklace tutorial


Bird-Nest Necklace

   Alright.... so I was browsing shops on line for a cool vintage necklace when I came across a bunch of these bird-nest type necklaces. They seemed pretty popular so I thought, "Hey, it would be so simple to make one!" And since I didn't have to spend a penny and I have wanted to do a tutorial for a long time, I thought this would be a good one to start out with. Sorry for the poor quality/lighting. I was doing this in the evening, and not even a Nikon can compete with my poor kitchen lighting!



 Materials you will need are the following:
- wire (I used a 22 Gauge, if you don't have some I am pretty sure 
you can get some a the Dollar Store)
- Needle-Nose wire cutters
- 3 small beads (ones that look like pearls look the best) 

  Start be cutting a 10" piece of wire


Use the wire cutters to start winding the wire


Keep winding... you can use your hands for this

Gradually make it into a funnel shape... but don't make it too deep

 Cut another piece of wire the same size. Thread it through.

 Continue winding, threading it through in order to connect the wire and to make sure it
stays in place. You can repeat this process to have a total of three pieces of wire.


It should look something like this when you are done. Make
sure that none of the wire ends are sticking out where they could scratch you! 

Time to take your beads. I made this necklace twice and used both
sizes of beads shown above. I found the bigger ones looked better
but it's up to you which size you prefer! 


 Take a separate piece of wire about 3" to 4". Thread the bead onto the wire
and bend it so it doesn't slip off.


 Add another bead

Once you have your beads, bend the wired to make a 
triangle shape.


Take the whole piece and thread it into the nest near the bottom

 Pull it through till it till the "eggs" are snug in the nest. 

 Flip the nest upside down and bend the wire sticking out in place. 
Make sure the end is not sticking out anywhere where it can scratch the person wearing it.

 And your done! I had a silver chain and just threaded it through one of the wire
"loops" that make up the nest. If the nest doesn't lay right, try carefully making the base of it flat
using your fingers.
Enjoy and have fun! 




No comments:

Post a Comment