Saturday, February 25, 2012

O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?

I have had the wonderful pleasure of being introduced to Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. At the beginning I found it quite disappointing. There was a lot of crude and awkward moments reading it aloud in class. I thought to myself, "We view Shakespeare as the epitome of love, and yet he is crude and makes fun of romance."

Well, I was quick to judge. VERY quick.... and just hadn't quite reached the right scene where the famous writer exercised his lovely verse. The part where Romeo first set his eyes on Juliet was where my heart melted inside of me. Lame I know and rather girlish, however, the words are like a song the way they flow and the meaning behind it. I know they are suppose to be like 12 and 14, but once you move on from that fact, a beautiful love story takes place. When young Romeo enters the Capulet's party and first sets eyes on fair Juliet, he comments how he never saw true beauty till that night. Now that I think about it, it makes me wonder if that is what Adam thought of Eve when he first laid eyes upon her.

A friend and I were talking about how if a boy came up to us and started reciting Shakespeare, we'd be "in love"( however shallow that may sound.) But what is it about Shakespeare that has us so captivated, that makes us swoon? I mean, honestly, if you read it, no one really has a clue as to what they are trying to say. I think that once, you look beyond the words, you find such a beautiful lesson. In the play, Romeo tells Juliet, he is not worthy of her, he asked her permission before he kisses her, and he just respects her. Now, I am not saying I want a guy to spill out empty words to me about how he is unworthy and all that, but the fact he asked her permission before he kisses her, I find that is the romantic part. Young Romeo realized Juliet's worth and treasured her for that.

That is why I swoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment